Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Edwin Fawcett: "Stronghold"

And, while I'm on the subject of arts and music...."Stronghold" is Edwin Fawcett's latest album. It has the honour of being the very first album on my iPod Shuffle (which, though I've had it for a year and a half, has only just emerged from it's box!)



Edwin is the son of dear friends of mine, and I've loved his music for years. His brothers and sisters are all musical too, one or two study ballet, and some of them draw and sketch - they are all talented. One of them, Hermione, (also a songwriter) is featured, singing on this album.

And the album is just amazing. Edwin has put many of the Psalms to music, working with a gospel choir and others, and the result is both meditative and uplifting. It doesn't matter what your taste in music may be - the rhythms; the melodies; the harmonies; the music ... are all so compelling - there will definitely be something you like!

But don't take my word for it. You can listen here.

My personal favourite is track 11 'Stronghold' with 'Listen To My Cry' a strong second. The former originated as part of a musical Edwin created with Matilda Callaghan (a lovely girl, who died tragically at a very young age - you can find a little tribute to her here) back in 2004 I think, called "Rock of The Anointed" based on the story of David - which I was fortunate to go see - twice, at different venues. I may be wrong, but I think the beautiful track 'Have Mercy On Me' may have originated here too. I wait in hope for this musical to take it's place among the likes of "Joseph and the Technicolour Dreamcoat" etc.. It has a job to do!

Most of us are fairly familiar with most Bible stories, but not everyone is aware of all the aspects of David's story - it is rich with passion, joy, love, praise, royalty, failure, evil, madness, witchcraft, ghosts, loss, regret, forgiveness, but most of all - faithfulness.

The cast of "Rock Of The Anointed"
(Photo Edwin Fawcett)   Used with permission.
So come on Edwin - get EWTN or the BBC (?!) to televise a production of this amazing musical. In the meantime, I will seek patience while listening to this great selection of your music. And what voices! You have some fine artists about you.

Edwin has just confirmed for me, that tracks 4, 7 and 11 on the album (I Love You Lord, Have Mercy On Me, and Stronghold) are from "Rock Of The Anointed".

Buy the CD from Edwin's site, or digitally on iTunes

2 comments:

  1. My pleasure Jackie. I bought the tracks as soon as I heard them (just after Edwin sent out word about the album) and I've hardly had a chance to listen to them more than twice! My iPod has been more often plugged into the ears of my darling daughters, or my sister, since then...! Still - I have it, and the house, to myself this morning!

    ReplyDelete